Inflatable Penile Prosthesis
- Postop Schedule Summary
- Post op Day 1: Follow-up in the office to remove the Foley catheter, drain, compressive dressing. The penis will be deflated to 50% to improve comfort but optimize the final result.
- Post op Day 3: Remove your Tegaderm dressings.
- Post op Day 7: Follow-up in the office to have the staples removed.
- Post op Day 21: Follow-up in the office for teaching on inflation/deflation
- Post op Day 28: Follow-up in the office for final teaching on the use of the implant (only if you need it. At 4 wks, you are ready to use the implant!!!
We recommend that you schedule your first office visit once you know the date of your surgery.
- Before and After your Surgery—Important Details
-3 days Before Surgery:
- You should have been given a prescription for an antibiotic (Bactrim DS). Please take one tablet 2x per day. You will continue this antibiotic for 1 week after the surgery.
- Start antibiotic wash (Hibiclens or Chlorhexadine Scrub), once a day. Wash the genital area thoroughly at least once per day.
-1 Day Before Surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the day before your surgery. If you do need to take medication that morning, take with a small sip of water.
- Make sure you have a ride home from the hospital.
-The Day of Surgery:
When you wake up from surgery, you will have:
- A catheter (thin, flexible tube) in your penis to help you empty your bladder.
- A drain in your groin to decrease bruising and swelling. You will be taught to record the drainage.
- Penile/scrotal dressing to decrease swelling. (These will be removed in the office the next day.
- You will be given a prescription for pain medication (Vicodin or Percocet). It should be taken as one tablet every 6 hours as needed.
- You will be given a script for stool softener (Colace). This is taken as one tablet 3x per day until your bowel movements are regular and soft.
- Continue the Bactrim DS one tablet 2x per day until finished.
For 24 hours after surgery, do not:
- Make important decisions
- Drink alcohol
Fluids and Food:
- Drink plenty of water.
- When you get hungry, start with clear liquids and light foods (toast, jello, crackers etc.) A heavy meal may be hard to digest. Avoid spicy and greasy foods. Resume eating your normal diet as tolerated.
Self-Care–For 24 hours after surgery:
- Sponge bath. No showers or baths for the next 24 hrs.
- Rest. This will help reduce swelling and pain.
- While you are recovering in bed, do these exercises:
– Deep breathing and coughing. These exercises will help prevent pneumonia.
-Ankle-and knee bending. These exercises help improve blood flow, prevent clots.
–1st Day after Surgery:
- You will be seen in the office for the removal of catheter, drain, dressing.
- You will be amazed that there is very little swelling or black and blue. Over the next 3-4 days, there will be some swelling and black and blue. Do not be alarmed. This will all resolve by the end of the week.
- Your implant will be partially deflated (50%). This ensures that the implant will heal without restriction throughout the entire shaft of the penis.
- You will be instructed on how to pull the pump down in order to keep it low in the scrotum. You should practice this several times a day for the next 2-3 weeks.
- You may take a warm shower when you get home. This will feel great!!!
-3rd Day after Surgery:
- Remove the plastic dressing above the penis and the white gauze beneath it. You may cover the staple line with a 4×4 gauze while you are wearing pants and performing activities of daily living. At home while resting, you may leave the staples open to air.
- Remove the plastic dressing at the Drain site and the white gauze beneath it. Cover it with a band-aid. You may change this as needed.
–1 Week after Surgery:
- You will be seen in the office for staple removal.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or heavy lifting over the next 2 wks
- Do not inflate implant until instructed by doctor.
- Continue pulling down your pump daily as previously instructed.
- 95% of men are off pain meds, and most of your recovery is over!!!
–3 Weeks after Surgery:
- Usually, all the pain and swelling is gone. The wound is well healed, but the tissues surrounding the incision may be slightly firm. This is normal.
- You will be seen in the office for instructions on how to deflate and inflate the implant. Some men are still slightly tender at this point, and it is OK to wait another week or two before the inflation/deflation process.
- If possible, inflate the implant for 10 minutes, several times per day.
- You may stop pulling the pump down into the scrotum as it will be fixed in place at this point in time.
-4 Weeks after Surgery
- If you are able to inflate and deflate the implant, you are free to have SEX!!!
- Call the office during office hours, or go to Emergency Room after hours if you:
- Have pain that is not controlled with your pain medicine.
- Cannot urinate for more than 8 hours.
- Have a fever higher than 101 F (38.3 C), with shaking and chills.
- Have an allergic reaction such as hives, rash, nausea, vomiting to any of the drugs you are taking.